The Outside Green Goods Lead is responsible for selling and merchandising, the products within the department. The Outside Green Goods Lead reports directly to the Store Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develop a thorough knowledge of Outside Green Goods, their uses, and related products in
the Outside Green Goods Department.
2. Ensure that items for sale in the department are correctly signed, priced and displayed.
3. Merchandise the department in a manner which enhances the product and stimulates sales.
4. Promote gardening success through merchandising, sales, training, customer education, and service.
5. Be aware of new products, trends, and developments in outdoor plant care; continuously
expand product knowledge.
6. Assist customers with finding solutions to their gardening problems.
7. Handle customer problems in a manner consistent with store policy, always striving to build
good faith, trust, and public relations.
1. Ensure the care and upkeep of the department
2. Open and close the store when assigned.
3. Open and close the department daily.
4. Constantly strive to avoid waste, recycle when possible, and follow practices which are cost efficient and ecologically sound.
5. Maintain all products in the department including hard goods merchandise that is displayed in Outside Green Goods.
1. Read trade and association periodicals and newsletters, and keep abreast of new developments in the industry.
2. Participate in, in house training programs especially when pertaining to Green Goods.
1. Interview, train, and evaluate personnel.
2. Orientate new employees to the department and provide on the job training in areas such as product knowledge, sales, safety, and customer service.
3. Develop work schedules for department staff in conjunction with Store Manager.
4. Ensure the safety and well-being of employees under your supervision.
5. Hold weekly department meetings to train, inform and obtain feedback from staff.
1. Request approved products through Store Manager, receive and stock merchandise in the department.
1. Budget for and monitor monthly sales, labor and gross profits.
2. Review daily inventory (RDI) update regularly.
3. Review sales weekly and by class each month.
4. Monitor inventory for accuracy.
Safety and Maintenance
1. Practice proper lifting procedures and ensure that your employees do as well.
1. Delegate assigned responsibilities under the general supervision of the Store Manager in accordance with established policy.
1. Coordinate with the buyer. The buyer determines the product lines, prices, vendors, and promotional program for the department as well as product training, merchandising ideas, and display suggestions.
1. Maintain compatible working relationships with the buyer, other department managers,
the Store Manager, and Corporate Staff.
2. Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE QUALIFICATIONS
1. A least one year of retail sales experience and one-year supervisory experience.
2. Horticultural knowledge preferred.
3. Strong merchandising skills.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS
Primary Physical Requirements
Lift up to 50lbs
Carry up to 50lbs
Reach above shoulder height
Reach at shoulder height
Reach below shoulder height
We encourage you to ask questions whenever you would like information. If there is a concern which you do not wish to speak to your supervisor about, you are invited to talk directly to Human Resources.