City of Smithfield
Located in Isle of Wight County, Smithfield is a quaint river-port town, first colonized in 1634, not far from Jamestown. The Native Americans knew this area as Warascoyak, meaning "point of land." With its proximity to the James River, the town's agriculture and shipping industry prospered and grew, evolving Smithfield into "The Peanut and Ham Capitals of the World." The peanut industry continued until a fire in 1921 destroyed the peanut warehouses and the growing peanut businesses. The peanut trade moved to the nearby railroad hub of Suffolk, Virginia. Today, Smithfield is most famous for the curing and production of the Smithfield ham. This small town has preserved its southern charm and has solidified its heritage of hams, history and hospitality.