Passionate about plants? WE DIG PASSIONATE PEOPLE!
Founded over 75 years ago, McDonald Garden Center is a family-owned and operated garden center and landscape company. We offer a wide selection of high-quality products and services. This multifaceted business includes two year-round garden centers, seasonal garden markets, and a landscape division. We are looking for dedicated and motivated team members to continue our tradition of excellence.
Receiving Manager (Independence Blvd. Location)
Come join our winning team at McDonald Garden Center! Located at our Independence Blvd. store in Virginia Beach, this position is responsible for the receiving, tagging, shipping, and disbursement of plants and products for display within the garden center. This position is a management position, therefore, candidates should possess the skills to manage a small team to accomplish tasks.
- Supervise the entire receiving process on our loading dock
- Transport, warehouse, and provide proper care & maintenance of our products
- Transfer inventory to the retail showroom and garden center display areas.
- Minimum of one year’s experience with similar responsibilities, preferably in a retail garden center
- Should possess the skills and abilities related to computer applications and software for receiving processes and inventory control
- Must have experience in the operation of a mechanical pallet jack and similar material handling devices
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, be dependable, and able to work some weekends, as needed
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.00 - $17.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Virginia Beach, VA 23455: Reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Inventory Handling Management: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
Receiving Manager (Great Neck Location)
Working at our Great Neck Road in Virginia Beach, Va., this position is responsible for the receiving, tagging, shipping, and disbursement of plants and products for display within the garden center. Using various material handling devices, this position will transport, warehouse, and provide the proper care and maintenance of our products for sale to our customers. The ideal candidate must be able to perform the duties and responsibilities of supervising the receiving processes, warehousing of products, and transfer to the retail showroom and garden center display areas. The ideal candidate should have at least one year’s experience with similar responsibilities, preferably in a retail garden center. Additionally, display the skills and abilities relating to computer applications and software for receiving processes and inventory control. Should have experience in the operation of a mechanical pallet jack and similar material handling devices. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, be dependable, and be able to work some weekends, as needed.
Post Office Clerk
McDonald Garden Center Post Office Clerks will be located at our Great Neck Rd. location in Virginia Beach, VA. This position will perform the daily duties of the USPS post office and friendly customer-focused service at all times. This is a part-time or seasonal position, which will be responsible for greeting customers at the post office check-out and processing transactions in accordance with company policy and procedures. The Post Office Clerk will assist customers with their USPS packages and mail. Must be detail-focused and organized in assisting customer needs.
- Reports to Post Office Lead
- Will assist with opening and closing procedures
- Keep all Post Office displays well-stocked, neat and orderly
- Keep all Post office areas clean and neat, including sweeping, vacuuming, wiping down surface areas, and taking out the trash
- Provide excellent customer service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Know all Post Office procedures for processing letters and parcels, including Express Mail, Priority, and First Class
- Weigh letters and parcels to determine mailing costs based on type, weight and destination; affix correct postage
- Certify and insure letters and parcels
- Sell products and services, such as stamps; collect payments accurately
- Ensure packages and letters are in proper condition for mailing
- Assist customers with best options for mailing
- Sort incoming mail by type
- Check-in prepaid packages
- Process POS sales from store or Post Office
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong verbal interpersonal skills
- Ability to assess customer needs and provide friendly customer service
- Ability to lift packages of 25lbs
- Small public space with friendly staff
- Flexible schedule
- 15-35 hours/week (Monday-Friday)
- Fast-paced environment
Sales Associate - Retail Stores and Seasonal Garden Markets
The Sales Associate position will serve as the product knowledge expert for a wide variety of plants: trees, shrubs, lawn, and garden products for sale to our customers. This position will answer questions and provide technical expertise to lawn and garden enthusiasts. As a member of the McDonald Garden Center team, you will assist in the staging, display, and sale of merchandise, ensuring the proper signage and product information of all merchandise. The Sales Associate will offer suggestions and demonstrate the use and care of products for the customer. Opportunities for this position are available throughout all of our retail locations, including our seasonal McDonald Garden Markets, within the greater Hampton Roads community,
The self-motivated, engaged sales associate will promote gardening success through merchandising, sales, training, customer education, and service. The ideal candidate will have a passion for gardening, be customer service-focused with previous retail sales, and have strong customer service skills. Part-time and Full-time retail store positions are available for interested candidates, based on our business needs. Garden Market positions are strictly seasonal and ideal for someone desiring to work a spring/summer schedule.
McDonald Garden Center cashiers will provide friendly customer-focused service at all times. This is a part-time or seasonal position, which will be responsible for greeting customers at check-out and processing POS sales transactions in accordance with company policy and procedures. The Cashier will assist customers with loading their purchases onto carts and coordinate customer lot assistance, as necessary. Must be detail-focused and organized in assisting customer needs. The positions will be responsible for answering and directing incoming phone calls to departments and providing direction to customers, as needed. The position will also assist with the pricing of merchandise for sale.
To qualify for this position, you should embrace a customer service-first attitude. Preferably, the ideal candidate will have at least 6 months of experience in a similar position with the ability to operate POS registers and scanners. Lifting and carrying up to 25 pounds is an essential requirement of this position
Landscape Installation Crew Members
The members of the McDonald Garden Center will be responsible for the preparation and installation of various garden design projects of our loyal customers. The ideal candidate should have previous construction labor experience utilizing various hand and power tools. Based in Hampton, Virginia, the crew members will perform operations throughout the greater Hampton Road area. Transportation is provided to all project site locations. This is a seasonal position with the possibility to transition to regular part-time status, contingent upon the individual’s work performance. To qualify, the candidate must be able to work in an outdoor environment with the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. A valid driver’s license is preferred, but not required.
McDonald Garden Center has opportunities open for you to grow your career with the passion of your love for plants! We are currently recruiting for the following positions throughout our operations. To be considered for any of these positions, please download and complete our employment application and submit to email@example.com.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
McDonald Garden Center is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org