Spring is the season of new beginnings, with nature awakening from its winter slumber and bursting into a vibrant display of colors and scents. As the weather starts to warm up, it’s the perfect time to plant some new shrubs in your garden. Here are 10 spring shrubs that are sure to add beauty and interest to your outdoor space.
- Camellias - These gorgeous shrubs are a sight to behold in the spring, with their showy blooms in shades of pink, red, and white. Their glossy evergreen foliage also adds year-round interest to the garden.
- Azaleas - Another spring blooming shrub, azaleas come in a range of colors from soft pastels to vibrant hot pinks and deep purples. Their delicate blooms are a perfect complement to the fresh green leaves.
- Daphne - This fragrant shrub is a real showstopper in the spring. Its small but intensely scented blooms in shades of pink, white, and purple are a favorite of gardeners and pollinators alike.
- Nandina - Also known as heavenly bamboo, this shrub adds a touch of elegance to any garden with its delicate foliage and bright red berries in the spring. It’s also easy to care for and drought tolerant.
- Pieris - With its cascading branches and delicate pink or white blooms, this shrub is a standout in any garden. Its new growth in the spring is also a striking shade of bright red.
- Ligustrum - This versatile shrub is a great addition to any garden, with its evergreen foliage and white or yellow spring blooms. It also makes a great hedge or privacy screen.
- Rhododendrons - These stunning shrubs are a favorite of many gardeners, with their massive blooms in shades of pink, purple, and white. They also have a long blooming period, making them a great investment for any garden.
- Quince - This hardy shrub is prized for its showy blooms in shades of pink, red, and orange. Its edible fruit also adds interest to the garden and can be used to make delicious jams and jellies.
- Carolina Jasmine - This fragrant vine is perfect for adding vertical interest to your garden. Its bright yellow blooms in the spring add a pop of color and fragrance.
- Forsythia - One of the first signs of spring, forsythia is a must-have. Its bright yellow blooms signal the end of winter and the start of a new season of growth.
Incorporating these 10 spring shrubs into your garden will ensure a beautiful and diverse display of colors and textures throughout the season. From the delicate blooms of the daphne and Carolina jasmine to the massive showstoppers of the rhododendrons and camellias, there’s something for every gardener to enjoy. So, get outside and start planting – spring is here!
To learn more about what’s growing on at our garden center, check out Mike, the Garden Guru, and his webinars with new plants, products, and expert planting advice. To keep inspired and grow with us, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok to dig into the joys of gardening!